THE 2013 CONTEST IS CLOSED. WINNERS WILL BE ANNOUNCED IN THE NEW SOUTHERNER LITERARY EDITION, AVAILABLE ONLINE AND IN PRINT IN DECEMBER.
If you are interested in submitting nonfiction works up to 500 words to our regular online edition, click here for guidelines.
We accept submissions of previously unpublished poetry, fiction and nonfiction for our annual literary contest during the months of August and September. Although the contest theme is open, we are especially interested in work that relates to our mission, which is promoting self-sufficiency, environmental stewardship and local economies. We are also interested in works by writers with a Southern connection, and works written with a Southern slant or that focus on Southern issues, people and places. Winning entries, as well as finalists and semifinalists, are published in The New Southerner Literary Edition, available online and in print.
- Prizes: $200 for winners of Fiction, Nonfiction and the James Baker Hall Memorial Prize in Poetry and publication in the literary edition;
- Contest fee: $10 per entry. One entry is one piece of prose up to 5,000 words or one poem up to 100 lines;
- Multiple entries are accepted;
- Simultaneously submitted entries are accepted as long as you notify us promptly if your work is accepted elsewhere; entry fee is not refundable;
- Postmark deadline: September 30;
- Winners will be notified by October 31;
- Finalists and winning entries will be announced in The New Southerner Literary Edition, available online and in print at www.newsoutherner.com in December.
New Southerner editors and advisory board members select the top five entries in each category. Final judges select winning entries. This year’s final judges are Maurice Manning, Crystal Wilkinson and Julie Marie Wade.
We prefer electronic submissions and fee payment. Work should be single or double spaced with one-inch margins and saved as a word document, rich text file or plain text file. If your name appears anywhere on the entry, it will be removed before the judging process.
Click here to go to the Contest Submissions Form. Be sure to provide all information, then click “send email” to submit your entry. A link will appear directing you to our secure PayPal link. Payment must be made at the time of submission. Entries received without payment will be discarded. If you have problems submitting your work, click here to send us a message.
SUBMISSIONS BY MAIL
Follow guidelines listed above. All entries sent by U.S. mail must include a single title page with the following information:
• Title of entry
• Category (Poetry, Fiction, Nonfiction)
• Mailing address
• Telephone number
• Email address
Your name should appear on the title page only. Number all pages. Please do not paper clip or staple pages. Place title page on top. No cover letters. Include $10 for each entry. For multiple entries, a single check or money order for the appropriate amount is acceptable. Checks or money orders should be made payable to Bobbi Buchanan. Mail to:
New Southerner Literary Contest
375 Wood Valley Lane
Louisville, KY 40299